Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Project Documentation

This was my first time testing out my designs! I hung these posters in the bathroom at a local gay bar called Bistro 303 Friday and Saturday night. I received great feedback and even some offers to distribute them at some upcoming events.

Then, Saturday night I used a projector to project this statistic on the side of a building right outside Missy B's, the most crowded gay bar in Kansas City.

I also put my "How Lucky Are You?" fliers on the windshields of cars parked outside the gay bar.

Next, I went to an event called Castro Movie Nights on Thursday, October 15th at the Screenland Theater off Armour Road in Kansas City. It is a benefit held the third Thursday of every month that raises funds for charities that battle HIV/AIDS. I was able to hang my posters up in 2 different men's bathrooms to be seen by attendees of this event, which were primarily gay men.

I also hung these up at a gay sports bar on Broadway called Outabounds.

Finally, I hung these up on Friday October, 16th at FLEX, a hip new gay club downtown in the Crosstown Station.

I tested out my car fliers again, this time outside of 303 on Friday night.

Later, I decided to switch out the posters that I put up originally at 303 just to see if changing the faces/statistics would keep this urinal attack powerful.

2 comments:

  1. I saw these at Flex last weekend. I understand your intentions, but when I saw the vaguely-threatening image of a black man with "1 in 3 young gay black males is HIV+" written across his face it made me cringe. I can't imagine what a black man would have felt after being confronted with an image that states outright that he is particularly dangerous and should be avoided. In a lilly-white environment like Flex, no less. I didn't notice a comparable image with such a flat "1 in x" statistic about gay white boys. Those were more amorphous, relying on percentages and incremental changes over time. Not nearly as potent. I understand the point you're making is best served by stark statistics. Don't pull your punches. Put please don't parse it out by race, especially when your audience is about 90% white. In that context it felt too much like racial fear mongering. Good job overall though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete